Spring veggies really piss me off. I get super excited about ramps, morels and fiddlehead ferns each year but each year something goes wrong. I never make anything good with ramps (always a food failure!) my morels get moldy within hours of picking them up or my fiddleheads have turned brown before I get a chance to cook them. Its like the veggies are mocking me. Jerks. But not this year! This year I have had 3 (!!!!!!) beautiful batches of fiddleheads!
|Fiddlehead Ferns with Garlic and Lemon|| |
- ½ lb fiddlehead ferns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of ½ lemon or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil
- While water is boiling rub off any brown bits and trim the ends from the fiddlheads. Rinse them well.
- Boil fiddleheads for 5 minutes and drain
- Heat olive oil on low in the emptied pot
- Add garlic and fiddleheads and stir frequently until fiddleheads are tender and garlic is cooked, around 5 minutes
- Add in lemon zest, a squirt of lemon, salt and pepper
- Adjust lemon, salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot