My family doesn’t love leftovers, which can be a real pain during summer when I don’t feel like cooking. I try to plan ahead as much as possible to make leftovers into meals: leftover grilled chicken goes into salads, leftover grilled zucchini goes into just about anything, and leftover grilled corn becomes this delicious grilled corn salad. You were going to grill corn anyway, right? So you might as well throw a few more ears on the grill for an easy weeknight side dish.
I’m really terrible at finding dishes to bring to potlucks and picnics. I never want the traditional potato salads and pasta salads that most people love and usually end up bringing something just a little too weird for the masses. But grilled corn salad is a game changer for me! No longer will I be bringing the weird side dish that nobody wants to eat!
Ok, so you don’t have to use grilled corn. Trader Joe’s has a tasty roasted corn in their freezer section but really any corn will do. Just make sure that it is sweet corn. (Seriously, what’s the point of corn that isn’t sweet corn? It doesn’t taste like anything!) Anyway, I like to cut the corn off the cob once it has cooled from grilling. I try to make the salad right away and store it in the fridge until needed, mostly because it allows everything to absorb the flavors from the dressing. Also, it is easier to fit in my fridge than a bag of corn on the cob.
|Grilled Corn Salad|| |
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups of grilled corn, from about 6 ears of corn
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 16 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl
- Add in remaining ingredients and mix well
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Adjust lime and salt to taste