I have never been a fan of fennel. This salad is the result of my need to use fennel bulbs when they arrive regularly in our weekly produce delivery. It is inspired by a salad my uncle served once, but I never got the recipe and this is the version that I pieced together. There is something about thinly sliced fennel and oranges together just works, and my whole family likes this salad. Even my 2 year old picks out slivers of raw fennel! And with a simple oil and vinegar dressing, this is super easy to put together, and looks far more impressive than it actually is.
Now that I have conquered fennel, what is my next produce-related goal? I’m thinking about something challenging… Maybe beets?
|Shaved Fennel and Orange Salad|| |
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, grated (this is pretty strong, so dial it back if you don't like garlic breath!)
- a mix of baby spinach, arugula, or butter lettuce - those are my preferences, but any lettuce would work
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- thinly sliced red onion
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Toss salad ingredients together with dressing and serve.