I had very ambitious goals for 2016. One of these goals was to focus more on the blog, which I work on mainly once Z has gone to bed at night. But January has been… Let’s go with challenging. Rough. Have any of you implemented a new computer system at work? This is my 3rd time and it isn’t going well. So work has been mentally draining and I’m exhausted. Just getting dinner on the table has been a challenge and that was before I got this nasty winter cold. Looking forward to February.
Another one of my goals for this year is to eat fewer take-out dinners. I have a tendency to create overly ambitious weeknight dinner plans and have everything fall apart when I need to work later or when Z is having a rough night. Somehow I never seem to have the ingredients I need for super quick dinners, especially on nights when I need something comforting and warm. And that’s why I was so excited to discover sopa de fideo, or just fideo. This is a simple Mexican chicken noodle soup that comes together quickly and is immensely warm and comforting. And there’s not much planning involved because you probably have the ingredients on hand already.
There are loads of recipes for fideo online and they are all basically the same. Chicken broth with tomatoes and noodles. Simple. The key is to toast the noodles to bring out their nutty flavor. But be careful, it doesn’t take too long for the noodles to go from golden brown to burnt. I’d show you the difference, but the charred pasta went into the garbage can before I had time for pics. And while I didn’t intentionally hide veggies in this recipe, Z had no idea that she was eating them. And you can totally make this vegan by using veggie broth, if it helps.
A quick note on the noodles: fideo noodles typically come in little 7 ounce bags in either the pasta or Hispanic foods section of your local grocery store. Feel free to try other shapes, but the short straight noodles are traditional. You can also use the vermicelli noodles from the Middle Eastern section or break up standard linguini pasta.
|Sopa de Fideo|| |
- 1 7 oz package fideo noodles
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 carrots
- 2 small stalks of celery or 1 large
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the base of a large skillet and toast noodles until golden brown, 2-5 minutes
- Add carrots, celery and onion to a food processor and pulse until finely minced. No food processor? Mince veggies
- In a large soup pot, heat up remaining olive oil and add veggies
- Saute veggies until they soften
- Mince garlic and stir into veggies mixture
- Stir in tomatoes, toasted noodles and broth
- Bring to a boil and cook noodles as indicated on the package
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve